Monday, June 20, 2016

Shoes to Go With My Army, or an Army to Go With My Shoes






It is not often that one can claim that one has the army to go with one's shoes, but I have succeeded.  I present Exhibit A, a pair of Dr Martens emblazoned with Renaissance Italian Condotierri.  The art work is D'Antonio's Triumph of Camillus (original in the National Gallery)



These were acquired during our sojourn in the UK last month.  I originally saw these during our four day stay in London on arrival, but balked at that time.  However with encouragement from my wife and sister in law I went back during our London segment of the return journey from Bedford to Southampton and voila.  They became my father's day present from my wife, and a damn fine one they are at that.



And for the record I have worn them in public twice so far.  Once to supper at a Thai restaurant in Marylebone immediately after purchase and then again at the local theatre in Regina.  Londoners of course paid no attention to them, but I did get catch some odd glances from fellow theatre goers - I figure that it's good for them to stretch their horizons a little.

14 comments:

  1. Those are not the shoes I expect to see on the feet of an actuary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last, a reason for a person to look at their feet.

    But you will wear them to the next Itailian Wars Wargame right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about adding little dice at the end of the shoe laces? That would make me totally jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How utterly splendid, you are truly a Renaissance Man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now they are outrageous... well played... always good to keep people guessing! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very stylish - definitely not your usual actuary apparel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. They will appear at the next Great Italian Wars game, but I'm not so sure about micro dice on the laces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think I needed a pair of these to survive until I saw them. Now I must have them. I hope your house has a good burglar alarm ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Them's are some nice dawgs, Mr Douglas. What size are your feet again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Them's are some nice dawgs, Mr Douglas. What size are your feet again? :)

    ReplyDelete